I made the decision to take Riva to our vet this Friday for a lameness exam in conjunction with her issues in her right front hoof. We have now been trying to clear up the thrush / infection in her deep central sulcus for a month now. She has days that she is almost sound at the trot and days she looks as bad as when we began treatment.
My husband spoke with our farrier about it again yesterday, and farrier can't get out till the already scheduled visit next Thursday. Just too long for me to keep trying different things to see if this treatment will work. I have cried in to that black mane way too many times over the past month and just want straight answers and healing for Riva.
We have never had her club foot evaluated by a vet. We came to the decision that it is time to see what we will be dealing with down the road. We did not know she had a club foot until our current farrier told us - about 2 years ago. He assured us it was a grade 1 - easily manageable and that she would be fine for dressage and jumping (down the road age wise). Just that he wanted her with front shoes on when I started riding her. We did that. I have talked with him many times and it has always been the same story - she was a work in progress.
When my husband spoke with him yesterday, farrier now says she is a higher grade of club and we will always be dealing with lameness issues....WTC?! I am beyond frustrated at this point. We already have one semi-retired horse to support and can not afford another. I am stressed and sick to my stomach at the thought of Riva never being 100%.
So...what to do now. Vet first - I am prepared for her to take x-rays of Riva and whatever else needs done to evalute her club foot and how to get the infection cleared. Second - change farriers. Our BO uses another farrier and I am confident in switching to him. Third - not giving up on Miss Riva Diva without a fight!