Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 - Year In Review

I am enjoying reading everyone's year in review posts and thought it would be good to look back over our 2013.  My 2014 resolution is to be a better blogger!  I get so much enjoyment out of keeping up with all of you thru blogging and need to make it a priority.

January

Actually taken Feb. 3rd - I have no Jan. pictures of Riva and myself

I started off 2013 with a hernia and had surgery to repair this on January 25th.  I am sure I was not supposed to be riding yet on Feb. 3rd...but we all know how hard it is to stay away!  We spent most of the winter working in draw reins to help with contact and keep Riva working from behind.  I lessoned with Jennifer Conour about once a month and Alexis helped out as much as she could.  We worked on getting ready to compete Training Level.

February

End of a lesson at Jennifer's

Training Level work and lessons with Jennifer continue.  We concentrate on power from behind and exercises to help with bend.  Riva gets very fit and we look forward to show season.

Riva & Cheers get Spring dentals and vaccines

March

Lesson at Jennifer's

In March, we start talking about moving to KY due to my husband's job.  He had been working in Georgetown all week and driving home on weekends since the previous fall.  We spent the last week of March in KY to check out boarding facilities and for our daughter to interview with Reese Koffler.

Maplecrest Farm in KY

April

Serenity Farm in IN

April brings weather nice enough to ride outside again - my favorite!  We spend lots of time riding around the galloping track working on conditioning.  Spring brings lot of rain and mud to Indiana and we fight scratches/mud fever on all 4 of Riva's lower legs. We attend our first show of 2013 at HHP in Edinburgh and compete Training Level 2 & 3 with scores of 62.857 & 62.4.

HHP in Edinburgh, IN

May

Oldest daughter with us at HHP in Edinburgh, IN

Mother's Day weekend we compete again at HHP in Edinburg and my oldest daughter comes to watch us show for the first time.  We once again compete TL 2 & 3 with scores of 63.214 & 67.2.  We also start packing up our house to move and get it ready to rent to a tenant.  I give notice at my job of 7 years and we start saying our goodbyes to friends in Indiana.

Front porch of our IN home

June

Cheers and Lex at new barn in KY

June 1st, on my birthday, we move to Georgetown, Ky.  We go back the next day to move the horses to their new barns,  Cheers, our OTTB, goes to a private barn and Riva goes to Maplecrest Farm with Lex.

Riding in Riva's pasture which has hills!

Lex begins her new job and I start looking for one as we settle in to living in Ky.

July

Maplecrest Farm

Riva gets shod for the first time by the new farrier and goes lame.  We spend all of July getting her sound - lots of vet visits and money spent to get her back to the way she needs to be shod.  Our oldest daughter comes for a weekend visit at the end of July and I continue to job search.

Woodford Reserve in KY

We move our OTTB to another boarding facility in July and he goes on 27/7 pasture board.  New place is closer to where we live and has an indoor arena.

August

Antebellum Farm in KY

We attend our first KY horse show in August and compete TL 2 & 3 - scores of 75.357 & 68.4.  We move Riva to the barn where Cheers is and I start riding 5-6 days a week again.  I have several 2nd interviews for jobs and get closer to employment.

Antebellum Farm in KY

September

Heritage Farm in KY

We begin schooling First Level and ride outside as much as possible.  I get a job at USEF and adjust to working until 5 pm thru the week.

Cheers get very fat on KY bluegrass

October 

Lex competes at KHP on Wild Angelica

Alexis competes a client's horse at Kentucky Horse Park and gets another Second Level score towards her USDF Bronze Medal - just one more Third Level score and she will have it!  I start feeling more comfortable in my new job and we continue to school First Level and think about attending a November Snowbird Show at KHP.

Paul and me at Keeneland

We go to Keeneland to watch the yearling auction one Saturday and then attend races on another Saturday.  Lex wins big on a bet on Calvin Borel!

First time betting

November 

Scary warm up arena at Kentucky Horse Park

We decide to compete at the November Snowbird Dressage show at KHP - so thrilling to ride there!  Was our worst show ever - but it is all about the experience.  Competed TL 3 and First 1 - scores of 54.2 & 56.724.

Equally scary indoor was not Riva's favorite place to show

December

Indoor at Heritage Farm

After the November show, we try changing bits as Riva was becoming a pulling machine.  She responded well to it for a few days, then began raising her head, mini rearing, double barrel kicking, backing widely around the arena, etc.  We changed back to our previous bit and went back in the draw reins.  Will continue to work with the draw reins and normal reins for a month or so.  

Riva says hello to the barn cat - ZaZu

2013 has been a year of big changes for our family and I still am adjusting to a new job and environment. Kentucky is a beautiful state with wonderful opportunities for our daughter.  2014 will bring decisions to be made about our home in Indiana and where we go from here.






8 comments:

Shelley said...

Looking forward to reading about you guys in 2014! Happy New Year!

Alanna M said...

Riva is so gorgeous! I can't wait to see where 2014 leads.

Malin said...

I can't believe it, but our birthdays are even close. Mine is June 4th! I wouldn't even be shocked if I found out Riva was born in April. :)
I think 2014 will be a great year for you, and I wish you all the best. First level here you come!!

Boss Mare Eventing said...

I am so jealous of your move to Kentucky...ahh horsey heaven. I'm surprised the move back to draw reins as they are known to make horses heavy in the hands. Hopefully you are able to work through that change in her.

Jen said...

I missed a lot of these things since your posting slowed down this year (and understandably so, given the year you've had!) so I was so happy to catch up with you via this post. What a good year you've had, Riva is really growing up. Hoping to see you sometime in 2014, maybe at the KHP?

Kelly said...

Emme - Does not surprise me that our birthdays are so close! But The Diva's birthday is May 26th - late baby.

Austen said...

Such a whirlwind year! I hope I get to see you soon!

(Yes, I'm really this far behind on blogs!)

Achieve1dream said...

I'm way behind on reading blogs too lol. I just have to say Zazu is the best cat name ever! :D I love the Lion King.

You guys definitely did have a year full of change and it was so fun to follow along with the blog. I can't wait to see how well 2014 goes for you. :D