Since DayLight Savings time ended, it has gotten worse. As I have mentioned over and over again, I like to ride outside. Given our very mild Indiana temps thus far for Fall, I can still ride outside. Problem is, I play beat the clock (or sunset) to get in a decent ride. All the stars must align for this to occur.
* must do all errands that are home related before I get to work in the morning
* leave work on time
* quickly change clothes at home, grab carrots & a snack, and get back in the truck
* 30 minute drive to the barn - 35 if I have to stop for a coffee to go!
* arrive at barn hopefully to my mare being in her stall finishing her dinner
(if this star does not align, most likely will not make it for an outside ride)
* get out tack, grooming box, helmet & gloves, dressage whip
* pull Riva out and do a minimal grooming - tack up
* of course, no talking to anyone at the barn because that will cause the stars to misalign
If all the above goes smoothly, we get about 40 minutess of ride time before it gets too dark. Makes me tired just thinking about it! And this occurs 5 days a week. Saturdays are a day away from the barn and a well deserved rest for Riva - unless we have a lesson or show. Sunday is more relaxed - no job to hold me up.
Riding at dusk
My husband's sister and her husband were with us for a few days and indulged me by going along to the barn with us on Monday afternoon / evening. I even talked my sister-in-law into sitting on the Diva - after I wore her out first, my horse that is! We had a great visit with lots of wine on Monday night and margaritas at my fav Mexican restaurant on Tuesday night. They live in Bahrain and we had not seen them for 5 years!
Was so happy with Riva - for a 5 yr old, she gives awesome 'pony rides' :)