The princess is lame on her left front leg. Dead lame Sunday - much improved Monday - yet to be seen today. Makes me want to skip work and go sit in her stall all day. I know there is nothing I could do, except obsessively clean her stall, keep refilling her water, make sure her leg wraps are ubber secure, mounds of hay constantly in front of her...drive the Diva crazy, more or less. So I will wait until after work to see how my baby girl is doing. Today will be the day we decide if the vet needs called. If she is further improved and all swelling / heat are gone, I will continue with our course of treatment. Worse or no improvement, vet call.
Saturday, Lex had her training ride on Riva. All went well - she did not work her excessively hard or too long. They worked on canter mostly - getting her speed up and circling the entire outdoor dressage areana, with a few 20 meter circles here and there. They worked on flexion - some leg yielding - some shoulder in - trot lengthening on the diagonal. I hopped on afterwards and walked her out around the galloping track. My oldest daughter was with us, so I gave her a pony ride on Riva also - walking only. Showered her off and put her up - they are on night turn-out, so Riva was put out to pasture a few hours after the ride.
Sunday was to be my lesson given by Lex. I pulled her out of the stall and thought she was walking a bit odd - but she appeared to be asleep when we arrived, so thought nothing of it. No problems till I went to pick up her right front hoof - she did not want to pick it up and once she finally did, she leaned heavily on my husband (who stepped in when he saw I could not get her foot off the ground). I unhooked her cross ties and walked her forward - 5 out of 5 lame on the left front.
After a brief crying spell (so I am a tiny bit dramatic, when it comes to lame horses), Lex, husband, and BO all felt and looked at her leg. There was a swollen spot on the inside of her long pastern and her knee looked swollen - some heat in both areas. I took her out to cold hose the leg, gave her a gram of bute, and we wrapped her leg with poultice wraps - other leg wrapped just in cotton wraps. We had her kept in for a night - the BO held a baby sitting gelding in beside her and she seemed pretty content when we left.
Monday evening when we arrived, Riva had managed to remove the right leg wrap but thankfully left the needed left wrap on. After removing it, I walked her around the indoor and she was much improved - not actually head bobbing but still not 100% sound. The swelling was way down and no heat. Cold hosed again, more bute, and re-wrapped. She got a new gelding buddy last night - TB who had just returned from the vet for hock injections who had to stay in for the night.
Hoping the swelling on the pastern was caused by her opposing rear hoof and we aren't looking at tendon damage. Her appetite is normal, she was acting like her normal self by last night...probably driving everyone batty by today with two nights without turn out. Saying a prayer that this evening brings good news.
I am doing some comparision and price shopping for boots - would like them to have some tendon support (since her knee will always be fragile) and want them to be easy to get on and off and washable. I am leaning toward Professional Choice VenTech Sport Elite Boots - front and rear. Any thoughts on these or another type / brand?